The Spirit and the Word
John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
I Tribulation and Triumph
A. Jesus warned us that in this world we would face tribulation
B. He repeatedly encouraged believers that we would not be left alone in overcoming opposition.
II We Are Not Without Help
A. God sent us His two most trusted leaders
1. The Holy Spirit
2. Jesus Christ
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
I John 5:7 "For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one."
B. Their purpose is to keep our lives stable as we conquer Satan in our daily battles
C. God has not designed that either one stands alone, rather that they work together in our lives.
1. We need to operate in both the Spirit and the promises of God in our lives to truly mature
2. Separated they have limitations but united they are unlimited and powerful
III Seven Ways the Holy Spirit and the Word of God Work Together
A. The Holy Spirit speaks the Word of God
1. The Holy Spirit will inspire us to speak the promises of God in our daily confessions and prayer
2 Samuel 23:2 "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His Word was in my tongue."
Proverbs 1:23 "I will pour out my Spirit on you; I will make my words known to you."
Isaiah 59:21 "My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth…"
Zechariah 4:6 "The is the Word of the Lord… by my Spirit."
2 Peter 1:21 "Holy men of God spoke (the Word) as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."
B. The Word of God is the power of the Holy Spirit
1. The Word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit and carries His anointing
2. Speaking the Word of God causes God’s creative power to go to work for us
3. When we imitate God and speak His Word, the same power to create answers is available to work in the midst of our problems
John 6:63 "The words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life."
Ephesians 6:17 "…and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
C. The Holy Spirit gives us scripture to use in witnessing
1. The Holy Spirit was given so that believers would have power for witnessing
2. The preaching of the Word of God to win souls should be bathed in the anointing of God’s Spirit
3. The Holy Spirit gives supernatural gifts to help us win souls just as Jesus did while He walked this earth.
4. The Holy Spirit was involved in leading each disciple individually into receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
a. No two disciples received salvation in the same manner
Acts 4:31 "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke (preached) the Word of God with boldness."
Acts 13:4-5 "So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit… they preached the word of God."
Romans 15:19 "…By the power of the Holy Spirit…I have fully preached the gospel of Christ."
1 Peter 1:12 "…To those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven…"
D. The Holy Spirit responds to the preaching of the Word of God
1. The Holy Spirit brings conviction of sins and supernatural answers to impossible situations.
Acts 10:44 "…The Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word."
Acts 15:7-8 "…That by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us."
Mark 16:20 "…Confirming the word through the accompanying signs (Holy Spirit)."
1 Thessalonians 1:6 "…Having received the word in much affliction, with joy in the Holy Spirit."
E. Both the Holy Spirit and the Word of God bring divine healing
1. The Holy Spirit works through the gifts of the Holy Spirit to bring healing
2. The Holy Spirit works with the promises of God to accomplish the removal of sickness, disease, and demons brought on by Satan
Psalm 107:20 "He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions."
Matthew 8:16 "He cast out the spirits with a word and healed all who were sick."
Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…He has sent Me to heal…"
Acts 10:38 "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing."
F. Both the Holy Spirit and the Word of God are to be used in prayer
1. Praying the Word is truly the prayer of faith
2. When we pay with our understanding, we should pray the Word of God
a. God enjoys hearing His Word returned to Him through our prayers, praise, worship, and communion with Him
b. We pray in the Spirit when we need the answer
c. We pray the Word because we have the answer
d. Answers are conceived by the Word of God and birthed by the Holy Spirit
G. Types and Shadows of the cooperative work of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God
1. God used picture types in the Old Testament to teach us of great truths which affect our lives today
2. Types and shadows tell of redemption, prosperity, guidance and the Christian walk
3. Others tell of the work of Jesus on the cross in death, burial, resurrection, and ascension
Deuteronomy 4:36 "Out of heaven He let you (the people of Israel) hear His voice, that He might instruct you; on earth, He showed you His great fire, and you heard His words (the Word of God) out of the midst of the fire (Spirit)."
a. As we live in daily communion with the Holy Spirit, He will share with us God’s will for our daily lives
1 Kings 17:14 The bin of flour (Word) shall not be used up (fail), nor shall the jar of oil (Spirit) run dry, until the day the Lord sends rain on the earth.
b. In our own personal lives, we should keep a full supply of the Spirit and the Word of God
1. We should pray in the Spirit daily
2. We should study the Word of God daily
Isaiah 66:16 "For by fire (Spirit) and by His sword (Word) the Lord will plead with all flesh."
1. Two avenues through which God pleads with the world to accept his son as Lord and Savior:
a. He uses those He has called and anointed to preach the Word of God
b. He uses the Holy Spirit to convict the world of their sin and to lead them into being born-again
1. God the Father draws people to His Son, Jesus Christ, through the ministry of the Holy Spirit
Have you been depending on your own wisdom to make decisions that you face each day? It is time for you to turn toward the two most powerful helpers in the universe – the Holy Spirit and the Word of God. Both have been sent to YOU. God loves us so much that he sent two members of the Godhead to assist you in your daily life. If God needs the other two members of the Godhead, how much more do we need them? Through daily prayer for power and daily study and meditation in God’s Word, you can declare with confidence, “If God be for me, who can be against me?”